Saturday, March 12, 2011

Emigration fun

Everyone who has moved at least once in his adult life will be able to attest to the fact the one of the more unpleasant features of moving concerns the bureaucratic consequences. Happy as one is with their new home, you know, more space, better neighbourhood, great view, whatever it was that made you move, that unhappy one becomes as soon as the many administrative issues have to be addressed. This is true for any move. It is at least triple true if you're moving across borders. Unhappy is then probably an understatement as it will soon turn to frustration and various degrees of agresssion, all depending on the country.
I know, there is always worse. In some countries you have to queue outside in the hot sun if you want a passport. However true that may be, I think we can agree that the French bureaucratic system within Europe at least, has a bit of a reputation. In fact, I like to think it is notorious. True, it doesn't make me wait outside in the burning sun but then, it arguably doesn't make me wait at all because I can never go to the institutions concerned. Reason being that they are open from nine to five and not a minute longer. No evenings, no appointments, no Saturday mornings. Consequently, I have been wondering for about three months how I can take care of all the matters that need my attention. Including getting health insurance, import a car and register in the new country.
Why it is that the French state apparently insists on me taking a day off work, eludes me. It can hardly be in its economic interest to have people take days off because they need to pay the Prefecture a visit. When I am not in the office, I am not making any money for myself or the company I work for. I am not paid that day and therefore do not pay any taxes over that day either. Part of my tax money is the Prefecture-employee's salary so arguably it costs both me and the state money to go the said Prefecture as the government will have to fill up that financial gap on the unlucky employees pay-slip.
Could I therefore suggest that the Prefecture and other government institutions open their doors to the public one evening a week or perhaps a Saturday morning to allow people with full-time jobs to take care of their administration? Hopefully it will also result in a decline in frustration levels. Better for everyone's well-being and some people's bloodpressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment